April Panel Series: Research partnerships and building communities
Hear experiences and approaches to working with research partners across disciplines and the broader community.
Tuesday 5 April, 11am to 12.30pm
In person at Melbourne Connect Launchpad, 700 Swanston St, Parkville, VIC 3010
About this event
Bringing together researchers from different domains and expertise increases the complexity of research projects. Differing communication styles, outcome expectations, and discipline norms must be balanced and managed to forge unique research pathways.
Join us in-person as Professor Eduard Hovy, Professor Kathryn Bowen and Dr Ben Hegarty offer insight into their experiences and approaches to working with research partners across disciplines and the broader community.
As time allows, the panel will cover topics such as:
- Building collaboration into research design
- Forming cross-disciplinary research teams – how do you know what’s working?
- Building rapport, communication and trust with different communities
- Working with research partners at UoM, other institutions or outside of academia
- Managing expectations and prioritising workload across different organisational contexts
- Project management – considering timeframes, funding and resources
- Setting up informal networks
- Measuring the impact of community building, including non-traditional research outcomes, building capacity, quantifying influence and relationship formation.
There will be an opportunity for open discussion, Q&A, and light lunch is provided.
This is MDAP’s first Panel Series for 2022. We look forward to seeing you in person at Melbourne Connect.
For those unable to attend, a recording will be available after the talk.
Follow MDAP on Twitter @MDAP_Unimelb
Sign up to the MDAP Newsletter
Professor Andrew Turpin – Associate Director of Melbourne Connect and Director of the Melbourne Data Analytics Platform
Professor Eduard Hovy – Executive Director, Melbourne Connect
Professor Kathryn Bowen – Deputy Director, Melbourne Climate Futures
Dr Ben Hegarty – Mckenzie Postdoctoral Fellow, Faculty of Arts